On June 11, 2012, a joint session of the Kurdish National Council and the People’s Council of West Kurdistan took place in Hewlêr, Kurdistan Region. The Kurdish National Council was represented by Abdulhamid Hajji Darwish, Dr. Abdulhakim Bashar, and Prof. Muhammad Musa. The People’s Council of West Kurdistan was represented by the attorney ʿAbdussalam Ahmad, Sinam Muhammad, Jihan Muhammad, Dr. Muhammad Rasho, and Dr. Husayn Kochar. The meeting was facilitated by Dr. Hamid Darbandi, director of the Public Relations Department for the Presidential Office of the Kurdistan Region.
Darbandi was representing the President of the Region.
Participants in the meeting discussed a series of political topics and issues as well as concrete problems pertaining to practical work in the field that complicate a joint approach. The debates were open and honest. Both sides emphasized that in this sensitive time, it is necessary to overcome all conflict s and obstacles that interfere with a unified Kurdish front. Both sides were of the opinion that the following measures could achieve cooperation in support of the greatest possible accord between the two councils:
- Establish a joint Supreme Committee of both councils to coordinate political and diplomatic work as well as to develop a unified political objective. This objective will be based on the immutable values of the Kurdish people as a nation and ethnicity in Syria and should work towards the overthrow of the dictatorship in Damascus, the construction of a democratic, pluralistic state, and the creation of a new Syria with many ethnicities. This new Syria will satisfy the aspirations of our people by recognizing its existence as an original people in the constitution. The Kurdish question must be solved democratically.
- Establish a Supreme Organizational Committee of both councils to coordinate practical work in the field in all regions.
- Establish subcommittees to coordinate practical work in the field in the individual regions.
- Cease all propaganda activities.
- Abolish all forms of armed presence in the Kurdish regions and communities.
- Establish joint, unarmed protection committees.
- Establish joint mediation committees to solve social conflicts. These committees should be the highest responsible authority in such matters.
All of the points agreed upon are an integrated whole and represent the draft of a template that will be submitted to both councils for a final decision.
Kurdistan Region — Hewlêr June 11, 2012
Dr. Hamid Darbandi Delegation of the Delegation of the People’s
Kurdish National Council Council of West Kurdistan